And this completes my vegetarian life….. ?☺️?
Not that I am vegetarian, nor consider becoming one anytime soon (because… steak), but I am a veggie lover and, more often than not, a veggie binge is just what life, and my stomach, orders.
And this right here ^^^ is what satisfies a veggie craving stomach.
Broccoli and cauliflower tossed with sautéed onions and garlic before being drowned in my very own Red Pepper Sauce (more on that below) that has been spiked (or should I say fully loaded) with cheese. This veggie/ cheese mixture is then baked in the oven until the cheese is bubbling and browned.
Mouthwatering vegetable awesomeness right here people…
Get a plate and start serving already!
Let me start with the ⭐️star⭐️ of this meal…
The unbelievably tasty, all-nutritious 5 Minute Red Pepper Sauce.
Getting tired of boring tomato-based sauces? Then I suggest you let this little recipe of wonder work its magic for you as a delicious substitute and I’m sure you’ll be hooked for life.
5 minutes is all it takes to put this sauce together (hence the name, duh!), and it couldn’t be easier; roasted red bell peppers, garlic, olive oil and seasonings are placed into your food processor/ blender and blitzed until they are smooshed together into a creamy sauce.
And then it is ready to be use in any recipe that calls for a tomato based sauce. It can also be used to replace chopped tomatoes or even as an awesome base for alternative cheese sauces such as the one in my Feta and Red Pepper Sauce Mac and Cheese.
Not only that, but it can be reduced down until it forms a thick, flavourful red pepper paste which can be used as an alternative for tomato paste or as a pizza sauce such as in this recipe right here.
In short: if you haven’t made my 5 Minute Red Pepper Sauce then, my friend, you really are missing out. I may have described how tasty it is, and how quick and easy it is to make, but, as added incentive, I should also tell you it is a nutrient powerhouse; packing a load of vitamin C, A and an abundance of other health boosting goodness.
So much better than that boring tomato based sauce you were thinking of buying from the supermarket, right?
Quick, easy, tasty and healthy…. this really is a wonder sauce.
But wait, hang on, this post and recipe is not just about the 5 minute Sauce; It may be a recipe rockstar but it is only part of the greatness of this Broccoli, Cauliflower and Red Pepper bake.
The simple Cauliflower and Broccoli Cheese bake is getting pimped out here with some extra, red pepper, goodness to make you feel less guilty about piling it full of cheese ( if you feel guilty about piling cheese on things, that is. I don’t but adding extra veggie power doesn’t hurt to help justify it, right?)
I have this recipe in mind as a side dish, a creamy accompaniment to any meal but this could easily just as well serve as a main dish, perhaps with some freshly baked garlic bread on the side (must try that!)
However you have it, I’m sure you will keep picking away until that baking dish is licked clean.
Because who can refuse gooey, cheesy, creamy, vegetable-packed, comfort food awesomeness like this?
So stop looking at your screen drooling. Click that print button and make yourself a huge serving of this veggie and cheese bake. You will not be disappointed.
Broccoli, Cauliflower and Red Pepper Bake
Prep Time: 15 mins || Cook Time: 40 mins || Serves: 4 – 8
Rate this recipe:
- 1 Large head of Cauliflower (about 800g) departed into florets
- 500g broccoli florets
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 Cups 5 Minute Red Pepper Sauce
- 250g Shredded Cheese (such as mozzarella, cheddar, gouda, whatever your favourite is)
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and cook the broccoli and cauliflower for 3 minutes or until slightly softened by not over cooked. Strain.
- Preheat Oven to 200°C/ 390°F
- In a small pan or skillet, heat up the olive oil on med/ high heat and sauté the onions and garlic for a few minutes until onions are soft and translucent. Add the paprika and stir for a few seconds until fragrant. Add the 5 Minute Red Pepper sauce and brig to the boil. Reduce heat to a steady simmer for about 10 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Remove from the heat and add half of the cheese. Stir until melted.
- Place the cauliflower and broccoli into a large baking dish and pour over the red pepper sauce mixture. Top with the remaining cheese and place into the oven for 20 – 30 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and lightly browned.