Nothing fancy smancy here people….
Just plain and simple oat balls: soft and chewy balls of oats swirled together with chocolate, coconut and little bit of sweetness to create a snack that is as delicious as it is healthy.
And because it’s nothing fancy I’m going to get straight to the point and tell you exactly why I love, love, ❤️LOVE❤️ these oat balls because, despite their lack of fanciness, they are amazing:
1. They are quick and easy
No jokes, no lies and no false promises… I promise. ✌️
These oat balls can be made in 5 minutes and I challenge you to make them in even less.
Is that not the perfect snack preparation time or what? Forgot to make these on the weekend so you can have oat balls all week long? Not a problem…. throw every thing together into a food processor or blender and – Bam! – you’re done. Even a hectic Monday morning has time for this!
Oh, and whilst I’m talking about ingredients…
2. Only 4 Ingredients
That’s right there are only 4 ingredients in these oats balls:
- Old Fashioned rolled-oats
- Shredded (or desiccated) coconut
- Cacao powder
- and a sweetening agent such as honey or agave syrup
and that’s all there is to it!
3. They are the perfect (healthy) in-between-meal-snack
You know that midmorning, or mid-afternoon, slump? That time of day when you start to feel really hungry, but you know it’s close enough to lunch or dinner time that you should not be eating anything larger than, say, a handful of nuts?
That time when the vending machines or the pack of cookies at the back of the cupboard seem so deliciously right.
And then you eat so much from the vending machines (or the entire pack of biscuits) that you suddenly find yourself too full to eat lunch or dinner.
Well no more….
A couple of these delicious little oat balls will tide you over for a few more hours without filling you or making you feel guilty about your snacking habits.
4. You can snack on chocolate anytime!
Look, if we lived in a perfect world, eating chocolate all day, every day would be the win win situation, yes?
But then again we don’t live in a perfect world and the average bar of chocolate contains enough sugar and other added ingredients to ruin all the other hard, healthy eating work we’ve put in (stupid sugar!)
But these little oat balls rely on nothing but raw cacao powder and natural sweetners such as honey, agave syrup or even stevia. I don’t want to the throw “healthy” around too willy-nilly but…
These oat balls are a healthy chocolate snack.
I know, I know, oats and coconut – even with chocolate – are not going to replace that chocolate bar but… when you’re craving a chocolate fix but need to remain of this side of the healthy line, then these little balls of chocolaty joy will solve your problem.
So hooray for chocolate snacks anytime of the day be it mid-morning, afternoon or during a late night bed time snacking situation.
I know I say this about nearly every recipe, ok every recipe, I post on here – I’m a little biased so take it how you will – but these chocolate coconut balls are delicious and I’m in love with chocolate flavoured snack time, anytime!
So, so in love…
Chocolate and Coconut Oat Balls
Prep Time: 5 mins || Makes: 16 – 20 oat balls
Rate this recipe:
- 200g old fashioned rolled-oats
- 80g Shredded Coconut
- 1 1/2 Tbsp dark, dutch processed cacao powder
- 2 Tbsp Honey/ Agave Syrup/ Rcie Malt Syrup
- Place all the ingredients into a food processor/ blender and blitz until they are well combined into a sticky mass.
- Scoop out heaped tablespoon amounts and use the palm of your hands to roll into a ball. If the mixture doesn’t hold together firmly, add 2 tablespoons of water to the mixture and process again until combined.
- Can be eaten straight away or, for really chewy oat balls, place in the fridge for 20 to 30 minutes to chill.