That huge, steaming bowl of pasta is getting a kick-ass make over with this creamy (and cheesy), homemade pumpkin pasta sauce!
The pasta love is real!
Like, very real!
As long as I can remember I have been in love with pasta in any shape or form (hey, what’s your favourite shape of pasta?); A huge bowl of steaming penne marinara, love it!; A curl-up-on-the-couch inducing bowl of rigatoni swirled with creamy, homemade pesto, love it!; that huge tray of lasagne, love it!; Orecchiette with mini meatballs and Roasted Red Pepper Sauce, Love it!
The list goes on.
But even though that love is real, sometimes I need a change; something a little different that is going to make that big bowl of pasta even more enticing.
Say hello to pumpkin pasta sauce!
I’m sure everyone is familiar with pasta sauce made out of pumpkin (I’ve even used it once on this blog with gnocchi) but, if you’re not, let me give you the quick rundown:
You take your pumpkin (any variety will do, although I’m more partial to butternut) and roast it until soft, and then let it cool. It then goes into your food processor along with garlic, ricotta, pinenuts, herbs and spices and, in no time, it gets blitzed into a soft, creamy sauce.
That’s right, apart from the boiling/ steaming of the pumpkin, this sauce comes together in minutes.
I’m thinking: perfect meal for those busy weekday nights!
Pumpkin pasta sauce: so quick, so easy. Oh, and did I mention delicious?
How you use this pumpkin pasta sauce is completely up to you. It can be a simple affair such as this Fettuccine con Zucca recipe I have below, which is basically the pumpkin pasta sauce stirred through cooked Fettuccine along with a sprinkling of sage leaves and the obligatory parmesan.
But it doesn’t have to be so simple. You can jazz this sauce up all you want. The simplest way to do this would be to use it instead of your normal pasta sauce. Having pesto? Try this sauce instead. Gorgonzola sauce? Use this pumpkin sauce instead of cream (btw, pumpkin pasta sauce and blue cheese = killer flavour combo!)
The possibilities are endless! Pasta love forever, you guys!
Until next time foodies,
Fettuccine con Zucca – Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
- 400g fettuccine
- 80g parmesan, grated (plus extra for serving)
- Handful of sage leaves, roughly torn (to serve)
For the Pumpkin Sauce:
- 400g roasted pumpkin or pumpkin puree
- 250g ricotta
- 100g pine nuts
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Generous pinch of salt
- Cook the fettuccine according to the packet’s instructions. Drain, reserving 2 cups of the cooking water, and set aside.
- Place all the sauce ingredients into a food processor and process until a thick paste-like consistency is reached. With the motor still running, slowly add the pasta cooking water until a creamy sauce consistency is reached.
- Pour 2 cups of the sauce into a large pan along with the parmesan and heat slowly until it begins to bubble. Stir in the pasta until combined. Divide among bowls and top with extra parmesan and sage leaves.
- The remaining sauce will keep in the fridge for up to a week. (see note)
This pasta dries out when when it cools. If you’re making this with the intention of saving some for leftovers, I would add extra sauce when reheating.